This petition, originally published in August 2006, has been republished as of today's date: September 19, 2013.
We are petitioning America's pet owners to remind them of everything that is required to be a responsible dog owner.
The AKC Responsible Dog Owner Pet Promise, created to bring the spirit of AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day to life and adapted from the AKC Canine Good Citizen Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge (http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm), reminds us that raising a happy and healthy pet is more than just playtime and pampering.
For more information visit www.akc.org
The AKC Responsible Dog Owner Pet Promise, created to bring the spirit of AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day to life, reminds us that raising a happy and healthy pet is more than just playtime and pampering. Owners must ensure their dogs do not infringe on the rights of others, and this includes properly disposing of your dog's waste in all public areas, adhering to local leash laws and training your dog to sit, come when called and to cease barking so to not disturb others.
We signed the AKC Responsible Dog Owner Pet Promise to show our commitment to our four-legged friends and we hope you will too!
AKC RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER PET PROMISE
As a dog owner, I do solemnly swear:
* I will never overlook my responsibilities for this living being and recognize that my dog's welfare is totally dependent on me.
* I will always provide fresh water and quality food for my dog.
* I will socialize my dog via exposure to new people, places and other dogs.
* I will take pride in my dog's appearance with regular grooming.
* I will recognize the necessity of basic training by teaching my dog to reliably sit, stay and come when called.
* I will take my dog to the vet regularly and keep all vaccinations current.
* I will pick-up and properly dispose of my dog's waste.
* I will make sure my dog is regarded as an AKC Canine Good Citizen® by being aware of my responsibilities to my neighbors and to the community.
* I will ensure that the proper amount of exercise and mental stimulation appropriate for my dog's age, breed and energy level is provided.
* I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification (which may include collar tags, tattoo or microchip ID.)
* I will adhere to local leash laws.