A fair go for Disability Support Pensioners
- THE HONOURABLE THE SPEAKER AND MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ASSEMBLED IN PARLIAMENT:
The Liberal Party of Australia will have absolute legislative control of Parliament as from June 2005. One of the Government's first acts will be to slash the entitlements of people with disabilities.
The major change will be classifying anyone able to work 15 hours per week as no longer eligible for disability support, and instead, being classified as unemployed. This will subject an estimated 60,000 Australians already living in poverty to even worse poverty.
TO THE HONOURABLE THE SPEAKER AND MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ASSEMBLED IN PARLIAMENT:
The petition of certain citizens of Australia draws to the attention of the House the facts ascertained by the Productivity Commission
demonstrating that people with disabilities are extremely disadvantaged in the employment market and Australian society.
* Australians with a disability have the 7th lowest average income in the OECD.
* Disability Pensioners are at greater risk of poverty than any other social group in Australia.
* The Government's employment of people with disabilities has dropped 30% in the last 10 years, from 5.8% to 3.8%.
We deplore the proposed changes to eligibility for DSP from the ability to work 30 hours down to 15 hours.
Your petitioners request the House to take action to:
* Maintain DSP eligibility threshold at 30 hours per week on a sustainable basis.
* Provide concessional benefits regarding utilities, travel and car registration on the basis of income, not the ability to work.
* Institute affirmative action programs for the employment of Disabled People, commencing with Government agencies.
* Take action to promote flexible employment practices including, but not limited to increasing part-time work, home based work and tele-working.
* Ensure that no Australian will be worse off financially after the changes in June, and that new Disability Pension Applicants will be no worse after the changes than they would have been before.
You can further help this campaign by sponsoring it
The A fair go for Disability Support Pensioners petition to THE HONOURABLE THE SPEAKER AND MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ASSEMBLED IN PARLIAMENT: was written by Ken Davis and is in the category Government at GoPetition.