Register Madaraka Party of Kenya
- Closed on
- H.E President Mwai Kibaki, Attorney General Amos Wako, Registrar of Societies
'The petition helped put pressure on the government of Kenya to open democratic space. Thanks to the petitioners, Madaraka Party of Kenya was registered on September 23, 2006. Thank you.
February 17, 2006
The "Register Madaraka Party of Kenya" Petition to be sent to "H.E President Mwai Kibaki, Attorney General Amos Wako, and Registrar of Societies"
Madaraka Party of Kenya was formed on June 11, 2005 to champion for the rights of youth, unemployed, poor workers, and peasants. On July 15, 2005, Madaraka Party submitted application for registration to the Registrar of Societies, Nairobi, Kenya.
On January 20, 2006, the Deputy Registrar informed Madaraka officials that "the government has put on hold registration of all political parties till further notice."
On January 29, 2006, the party wrote to the registrar seeking the following information:
1. "Who or which office in the government made the decision to put on hold the registration of political parties in Kenya?
2. Why has the government decided to put a hold on registration of political parties?
3. For how long will the hold be in place?
4. What is to happen to trigger the lifting of the hold on registration of political parties?
5. Under which law has the government based its decision to put on hold registration of political parties? Lastly, Is Kenya still a multiparty democracy or democracy is also on hold till further notice?"
There has been no response as of February 17, 2006.
We, the undersigned, urge the government of Kenya to stop harassing and oppressing the youth, and grant them their fundamental human right to organize themselves into a political party, to be able to contest the 2007 elections.
The Register Madaraka Party of Kenya petition to H.E President Mwai Kibaki, Attorney General Amos Wako, Registrar of Societies was written by Anonymous and is in the category Youth at GoPetition.