- Scottish Government & Parliament and all bodies sponsored and/or funded by them
Scottish traditional art forms are intrinsic to defining the uniqueness of Scotland as a nation. The recent major funding decisions by the Scottish Arts Council resulted in many traditional arts and voluntary organisations losing funding.
The Traditional Music and Song Association of Scotland (TMSA) and other organisations are campaigning to have the intrinsic value of Scottish Traditional Art forms recognised and to secure current and future funding for them.
We, the undersigned, maintain that:-
- - Scotland has one of the richest living traditions in Europe;
- the traditional arts of making music, singing, dancing, poetry and storytelling are an intrinsic and vital part of Scottish culture;
- all of Scotland’s indigenous languages and traditions are of equal importance and value;
- Scotland’s traditional arts and languages make an irreplaceable and distinctive contribution to world culture;
- the foundation of all traditional arts is the grassroots inclusive participation of the people of Scotland;
- the traditional arts give a unique perspective on Scotland’s political and social history;
- the traditional arts bind together communities in Scotland and the Scots Diaspora;
- Scotland’s traditional culture can and should be reinterpreted by each generation but that this must not result in discarding the past.
- Scotland’s cultural traditions can and should play a part in the economic and social regeneration of Scotland.
We therefore call on the Scottish Government and Parliament and all bodies sponsored and/or funded by them to ensure that:-
- - all the indigenous languages and traditions of Scotland are treated equally;
- funding for traditional arts is enshrined in all government arts policies;
- traditional arts are embedded in Scottish education at all levels;
- opportunities for taking part in traditional arts are actively encouraged;
- provision of spaces for traditional arts is supported;
- initiatives to make our traditional forms of expression accessible to all are supported;
- in the drive to make commercial use of the traditional arts, the traditions themselves are not distorted or lost;
- all of the traditions - not only the more commercial aspects - are valued and maintained;
- recognition is given to the irreplaceable contribution that volunteers supporting traditional arts in Scotland make to the economy.
The TMSA's Scottish Traditional Arts Declaration petition to Scottish Government & Parliament and all bodies sponsored and/or funded by them was written by TMSA and is in the category Music at GoPetition.