- Vicksburg, Mississippi
- United States of America
This is our present city ordinance.
It shall be unlawful for a convenience store, service station or other type of retail establishment holding a permit authorizing the sale of beer and light wine for off-premises consumption to:
(1) To sell beer or light wine to any person between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. on Monday through Saturday, and between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Sunday.
(2) To permit consumption of beer or light wine on the premises of the store or retail establishment.
(3) To sell, give or furnish beer or light wine to any person visibly intoxicated or to any insane person, or to any habitual drunkard, or to any person under the age of twenty (21) years.
(4) To permit on the premises any lewd, immoral, or improper entertainment, or conduct or practices.
(5) To permit or suffer gambling or the operation of games of chance upon the licensed premises unless otherwise allowed by the Mississippi Gaming Act.
(6) To receive, possess or sell on the premises any beverage of any kind or character containing more than five (5) percent alcohol by weight.
(7) To display or sell beer or light wine from an ice tub or similar container, other than a mechanical refrigeration unit.
This is our present city ordinance. There are some people in our community that would like to change the ordinance due to the fact they say we are losing much needed sales tax revenue to the county and Louisiana, where beer and light wine can be purchased all day, every day.
We, the undersigned, call on the City Board to review the idea of wanting to change something that is not broken. You speak of having a safe community.
Keeping the ordinance as it stands would be one way of doing so. Our future is our youth. They will be the ones that will suffer.
Let's work together in keeping everyone safe.
The Properly Regulate Alcohol Sales and Brown Bagging petition to Vicksburg, Mississippi was written by Dean Shiers Anderson and is in the category Local Government at GoPetition.