- Government of Pakistan
Background can be found on Wikipedia:
This is a statement from Boston area students, academics, professionals and citizens to voice their concern for the current constitutional and political crisis in Pakistan.
We, the undersigned, are deeply concerned about the current constitutional and political crisis in Pakistan. This crisis has reversed and threatens to undo permanently most of the gains made by the fledgling democratic process in Pakistan, including the independence of the higher judiciary, a vibrant electronic media, growing systems to protect and uphold human rights, and respect for constitutional rule.
We believe that the official pronouncement of the lifting of the emergency rings hollow as police violence against peaceful protesters continues, many political prisoners, including the deposed judges, are still in detention, the media remains under censorship, and the judiciary has not been restored.
As individuals who seek democracy in Pakistan, we believe that the upcoming elections cannot be fully free, fair and legitimate until ALL of the following conditions are met:
• The Constitution of Pakistan is reinstated to its state before the declaration of emergency.
• The judiciary is restored to its state before the declaration of emergency and all judges deposed from the Supreme Court and Provincial High Courts are reinstated.
• The amendments made to the Army Act of 1952 since the declaration of emergency, including the one authorizing military courts to try civilians, are rescinded.
• The code of conduct on media outlets is revoked and their complete freedom to broadcast without restrictions is restored.
• All lawyers, students, human rights activists, politicians and political activists arrested or detained since the declaration of emergency are immediately and unconditionally released.
• The fundamental constitutional rights of Pakistani citizens as enshrined in the Constitution of Pakistan are restored.
• The rule of law as guaranteed by the Constitution of Pakistan is observed.
The Essential Conditions for Free and Fair Elections in Pakistan petition to Government of Pakistan was written by Kamal Ahmed and is in the category Government at GoPetition.