#Human Rights
Mr Tony McNulty, Minister for Immigration
United Kingdom

March 02, 2006

This petition is now closed. Thanks to all who signed.

August 19, 2005

Petition to Tony McNulty, Minister for Immigration, requesting he allows Ali Reza Fakourpoor to remain in the UK.

Home Office reference F1021561

We ask that you allow Ali Reza Fakourpoor, an Iranian man to stay in Britain with his wife Jenifer, who is a British Citizen.

Ali met Jenifer in Glasgow and they married in 2002. An application was submitted but this was refused in February 2005. An appeal is now pending.

The Home Office want to remove Ali to Iran but this would result in the couple's forced separation. There are several insurmountable obstacles that would prevent them living together in Iran. Iran does not recognise dual nationality. It is likely that Jenifer's British passport is confiscated. In order for the Iranian authorities to recognise their marriage Jenifer would be forced to convert to Islam. Jenifer has no knowledge of Iran's language or culture and it is very unlikely she would find employment in her current field.

It is also uncertain what would happen to Ali on his return especially given the current political climate, his political views and previous opposition to the government. We believe that a forced separation would be unjust and inhumane.

In spite of the stress he is under Ali has remained an active and widely respected member of the community. He has learned English and updated his skills in carpentry and furniture making. He is not permitted to work so volunteers at his local Oxfam shop on a weekly basis.

Given the appalling human rights situation in Iran at present and also the fact that the Foreign Office advises against travel there, we, the undersigned urge you to allow Ali to remain here with his wife on compassionate grounds.

GoPetition respects your privacy.

The Allow Ali to remain in the UK petition to Mr Tony McNulty, Minister for Immigration was written by Jenifer Martin and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.