|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
There is No Honor in Killing - Stop the Honor Killings
Petition Background (Preamble):
Fellow human beings are being assassinated in the most inhumane methods. Daughters and wives are being brutally tortured, stoned, and murdered by their own families, all in the name of "honor." This widespread epidemic of such atrocious acts fueled by fundamentalist thinking—dating back to pagan times—is inexcusable. Honor killings are often supported, overlooked, and undermined by authorities and persons of influence.
These murders are committed not just in Muslim countries but around the world, with alarmingly increasing rates on such continents as Europe and North America, which contain some of the most advanced countries of the 21st Century. It is a shame to all humanity that women (and some men) are subject to such barbaric crimes—threatened, tortured in agony, dying the most gruesome deaths.
Statistics Related to Honor Killing:
- 93% of honor killings worldwide are committed against women
- 91% of honor killings are committed by Muslims
- 81% of honor killings committed in Western civilizations are for being “too Western”
- 81% of female victims of honor killing 25 years or younger are murdered by their family of origin
- 68% of women who are victims of honor killing are gruesomely tortured
- Approximately 50% of honor killings are committed by multiple perpetrators
Worldwide Trends in Honor Killings, 2010. Middle East Quarterly, Spring 2010. http://www.rightsidenews.com.
“Honor Killings on the Rise.” http://corner.nationalreview.com
“Are Honor Killings Simply Domestic Violence?” Middle East Quarterly. www.meforum.org
The There is No Honor in Killing - Stop the Honor Killings petition to United Nations was written by Dr. Tara Pir and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: honor, muslim, death, murder, un, justice, human rights, stoning, family, honour, honor killing, violence, women, suicide, rape, culture, stoned, torture, islamic, gender, apartheid, freedom, domestic