- Friends and Family of those with Criminal Offenses
- United States of America
Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has:
(1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought;
(2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained;
(3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release;
(4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and
(5) completed at least one year of community service.
Authorizes an individual convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor to file an expungement petition. Directs the court, in ruling on such petition, after determining petitioner eligibility, to weigh the petitioner's interests against the best interests of justice and public safety.
Authorizes the Department of Justice (DOJ) to maintain a nonpublic manual or computerized index of expunged records, to be made available only to federal and state law enforcement personnel who have custody of such records for limited disclosure purposes.
Requires the restoration of expunged records of individuals subsequently convicted of any federal or state offense.
I urge everyone to contact their congressman and senators and put forth every single effort to get it passed. This could make a great difference in the lives of millions.
So many people struggle to get good jobs for crimes and this is a chance to start over. I beg everyone to put fort all the effort possible to get this passed.
The Support the Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 petition to Friends and Family of those with Criminal Offenses was written by Sharina Badger and is in the category Law Reform at GoPetition.