- Mike Leavitt, Head of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- United States of America
June 19, 2006
To save ourselves, we need to Save The FDA!
The FDA is beholden to Big Pharma rather than the other way around. This is evident since the FDA:
1) lets Big Pharma get away with keeping its defective products on the market - even though they may cause you to die!
2) prevents you from buying Canadian and other low cost medicines -
thereby trying to help eliminate Big Pharma's competition... at great cost to you!
3) lets Big Pharma get away with rewarding your doctor for prescribing you less safe and more expensive medications... that you may not even need.
4) is trying to ban and discredit natural herbs and supplements -
to help Big Pharma eliminate its competition... at great cost to you!
5) continues to permit manufacturers of sunscreen and sunblock lotions to sell their fraudulently labeled and misrepresented as effective, products.
We, the undersigned, petition the Department of Health and Human Services to promptly create an office that oversees the FDA ensuring that the FDA promptly:
1) becomes the people's fiduciary and puts the interests of the American people before the interests of industry and profits, ensuring truth and ***proactively*** prevents collusion and fraud by weeding out those individuals on payroll or otherwise, who put their personal agenda before the agenda of the FDA.
2) creates an independent office that reviews the safety of drugs already on the market, separate from the office that puts drugs on the market in the first place.
3) seeks to help lower the cost of medicines and health care for the American people and helps encourage innovation by helping promote competition for the pharmaceutical and health care industries through the importation of safe medicines and other health care products and services from other countries.
4) mandates that doctors be required to disclose to their patients the costs and risks of all medicine choices - including generic alternatives.
5) mandates that Big Pharma does not use doctors (and others who prescribe medicine) as salesmen; That if Big Pharma provides trips, freebies and other perks to those who practice medicine, it must do so without preference to those who bring in the most business.
6) helps to ensure the safety of natural herbs, remedies and products that compete with Big Pharma's products - not to ban them or discredit
their value without actual independent proof - studies not sponsored by Big Pharma.
7) quits its vendetta against the herb, ephedra and doesn't attack other herbs without merit. Unless a natural substance is more dangerous than its synthetic form, it's disingenuous to prohibit the sale of the natural substance if the synthetic form can be sold without a prescription.
8) promptly addresses the legitimacy of sunscreen and sunblock products and prohibits fraudulent labeling and misrepresentation of efficacy in blocking harmful ultraviolet radiation.
We, the undersigned, petition the Department of Health and Human Services to promptly create an office that adequately oversees the FDA as described herein.
The SaveTheFDA petition to Mike Leavitt, Head of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was written by Gary Smart and is in the category Government at GoPetition.