Save Chennai trees
- chennai corporation
Several large, shade-giving old trees are being cut along Besant Avenue in Besantnagar in the name of decongestion of traffic. So far two trees outside Olcott Memorial School have been cut and one more gulmohar and two tamarind trees have been targeted by the Chennai Corporation to be cut in the coming days.
These trees are more than 20 years old and have been providing shade and safety for lot of commuters on the road as well as for the chidren of Olcott Memorial School.
So for whose convenience are they being cut ?
1. Besantnagar residents are fully aware of the location of these trees along and on the road and the majority have been adjusting to their presence. The trees are well indicated by large signs along the avenue. The warning signage can be further improved
2. These trees are more than 20 years old and have been providing shade and safety for lot of commuters on the road as well as for the chidren of Olcott Memorial School.
3. . Rash driving is rampant, particularly on Elliots Beach, 5 th Avenue and Besant Avenue and particularly on weekends. These trees provide a good check to rash driving. If they are removed and the roads are widened, instances of rash driving will only increase, making it difficult for local residents .
4. The shade provided by these trees makes the whole road very cool thus making it a favourite spot for early morning walkers and joggers especially senior citizens .
5. These trees are home to many birds and insects and we would be robbing them of their habitat if the trees are cut.
We, the undersigned, request the Chennai Corporation to involve residents of the affected area when it comes to taking descions about cutting trees in public spaces.
The reasons for cutting trees should be publicised, along with data and hard evidence supporting the claims being made.
Most important, the local public need to be consulted on these decisions -- since trees are public assets and resources. In many cases, the trees have been watered and cared for by local residents.
We request the Corporation formulate a policy pertaining to trees including pruning.
This policy needs to take the views of the major stake holders into account and should be transparent .
You can further help this campaign by sponsoring it
The Save Chennai trees petition to chennai corporation was written by rajashri sai and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.