Five years have passed since the showdown between the Greek Cypriot people and their History of more than three thousand years. This showdown resulted in 76% of the population to reject the dichotomy proposed by the Anan plan, a plan of foreign inception and partly of Greek acceptance, and as such with their vote save the Republic of Cyprus, signify their refusal to self-endorse their own condemnation and refuse to encumber their own future and the future of the next generations.
With their historic “NO”, the Greek Cypriot people denied the incomprehensible monstrosity that is contrary to the well accepted principles that apply to all free, democratic and well governed states in the 21st century, and which plan:
Was contrary to the UN’s spirit, resolutions and decisions relating to the invasion and continuous occupation of northern Cyprus by the Turkish military.
Ignored International Conventions concerning human rights and the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights condemning Turkey.
It attempted to cause the deprivation of the European vested rights of the citizens of a state that fulfilled all criteria of entry in the European Union exactly on the eve of its full acceptance in the European family.
Attempted to dissolve the Republic of Cyprus.
Today, on the 5th anniversary of the Referendum...
‘’ Friends of a Free Cyprus ‘’
24 APRIL 2004: “NO” TO THE ANAN PLAN
24 APRIL 2009: “NO” TO THE AMENDMENTS OF THE ANAN PLAN
WE DECLARE that WE WILL NOT ACCEPT A SOLUTION that:
Will restore a modified Anan plan, with whatever name they render to it.
Will distinguish the citizens of the Republic of Cyprus along ethnic, religious, linguistic and other criteria.
Will make lawful the perpetual crime of illegal settlement and will legalise the settlers.
WE DEMAND A SOLUTION
1. Will result in the occupying Turkish military forces to be removed from Cyprus.
2. Will recognise and guarantee without exception the human and civil rights of all the DE JURE (LEGAL) citizens of the Republic of Cyprus without any racial, religious or other discrimination.
3. Will not exclude the right of free movement and safe enjoyment of their property from any DE JURE (LEGAL) Cypriot citizen.
4. Will not give the right of intervention to third parties or provide any third parties arbitrative, legal or any other authority or power that will oversee the functioning of the Republic of Cyprus.
5. Will not breach the independence of a member-state of the UN and EU and will not in any way, whether directly or indirectly, curtail its authority.
from the Cypriot political leadership and the Cypriot government:
To respect the verdict of 76% of the population and to reject the suggested solutions that restore the Anan plan under a different guise.
To seek a solution that conforms to International Law, is compatible with our European vested rights and as such turns to advantage the benefits granted to Cyprus in its capacity as a full member of the European Union.
To not ignore the fact that it was the steadfast loyalty to the virtues, values and justice of our Struggle that made possible the overthrow of the yoke of 400 years of Turkish enslavement.
The No to The Amendments Of The Anan Plan petition to Cyprus was written by Peter Stefanidis and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.