A Petition to Stop the Construction of the Chicopee Women's Jail
· The U.S. puts more people in jail than any other nation in the world.
· From 1980 to 2000, the inmate population quadrupled to 2 million.
· Massachusetts ranks 12th in racial inequalities among people incarcerated.
· 450 children have mothers in the Ludlow jail.
· 25% of women sent to MA county jails are from Hampden County compared
to 20% from Boston-Suffolk County or 4% from Worcester.
This must end. The Springfield Harm Reduction Coalition is working to stop putting our mothers, sisters, and daughters into jail. How? By preventing the construction of the Chicopee Women's Jail, scheduled to break ground this summer ('03) at a cost of $26 million. By adding your name to this petition, you can be part of a new movement to stop throwing people into jail and start improving the conditions in our community.
Initiated by the Springfield Harm Reduction Coalition (SHaRC) c/o Arise for Social Justice, 94 Rifle Street, Springfield, MA 01105
Arise for Social Justice, Critical Resistance WM, Holyoke Girls Inc., Out Now, Paloma House
The Performance Project, STEPServices, western Mass. AFSC
I, the undersigned, support the Springfield Harm Reduction Coalition's goal of preventing the construction
of the Chicopee Women's Jail. I request that the money be put back into the community for housing,
treatment on demand, education, job skills, and family support.
The A Petition to Stop the Construction of the Chicopee Women's Jail petition to Governor Willard Mitt Romney was written by Michaelann Bewsee and is in the category Government at GoPetition.