Warwick Resolution to Protect Civil Liberties
- Warwick Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- United States of America
Help us to ensure that the town of Warwick, NY is next on the list of cities, towns, counties & states to pass a resolution to protect the civil liberties of their residents!
The USA PATRIOT Act, passed by Congress in the wake of 9/11 terrorist attacks, grants powers to law enforcement and intelligence gathering authoriites that can and are being used to undermine and otherwise violate the US Constitution.
On Aug. 14, 7:30, we present a petition to the Warwick Town Board requesting passage of a resolution against provisions of the Act which are a direct threat to our liberties. Please join us!
We the people of the Town of Warwick, New York, call on our local government to act in the spirit of our state and federal Constitutions by asking local and state police, the local U.S. Attorney's office, and the FBI to:
1. Report to citizens regularly and publicly the extent to and manner in which they have acted under the USA PATRIOT Act, new Executive Orders or regulations, including disclosing the names of any detainees;
2. End racial profiling in law enforcement and detentions without charges;
3. Not participate, to the extent legally permissible, in law enforcement activities that threaten civil rights and civil liberties of the people of Warwick, such as surveillance, wiretaps, and securing of private information, which the Act and Orders authorize; and
4. Openly work for the repeal of the parts of the Act and Orders that violate civil rights and civil liberties.
The Warwick Resolution to Protect Civil Liberties petition to Warwick Bill of Rights Defense Committee was written by Lois Karlin and is in the category Government at GoPetition.