SUPPORT THE CLEAN AIR ZONE FOR BATH
- Bath and North East Somerset Council
- United Kingdom
SUPPORT THE CLEAN AIR ZONE FOR BATH
**UPDATE*. NEWS JUST IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN— the council may drop the “D” option, (restrictions on cars), crippling the impact of the proposed Clean Air Zone (CAZ). Restricting cars, the CAZ would be a first step towards tackling Carbon emissions contributing to the climate emergency, as well as the chronic congestion in Bath. Without it, by only targeting heavy vehicles, it is an opportunity wasted, and more children and all of us would suffer. Even more reason to sign and share this petition!
• For health
• As a first step towards confronting Bath’s challenging transport issues
• To stimulate development of sustainable, effective alternatives to polluting travel
Scientific evidence shows that the high levels of NO2 found in Bath damage health. Children, elderly or infirm people are particularly at risk, but many others can be affected. Air pollution from vehicles is linked to autism (see note 1), dementia (note 2), permanent lung damage in children (3), and reduced life span (4 ), amongst other health threats (5).
This is unacceptable, and the pollution must be reduced. The pressure is on from national government to have a Scheme in place by the end of 2020 with national funding, or face penalties. This is an opportunity we must grasp and build upon. The deadline pressure is heightened by the March 18th beginning of ‘purdah’, which is a period of six weeks prior to our council elections on 2nd May, in which the council is forbidden to do business which might effect the elections. A new council in May is unlikely to be able to launch a new scheme in time.
8,400 people expressed their views in the council consultation which closed in November. The council responded to some concerns on their website here: https://t.co/juHdkNHeV2 and posted an accessible FAQ list here: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/bath-breathes-2021-overview/faqs They have delayed a decision until March 2019 to consider feedback and review the proposal. Some changes in the proposal may be forthcoming, but people in Bath deserve to breathe clean air. Please sign the petition underneath the Notes below. The council needs our support to act.
1. Autism: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-11/mu-apl110418.php and https://www.sesalmaul.com/userfiles/board/classroom/20130603935-Q232U2.pdf accessed 29/12/18
2. Dementia: https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/air-pollution-linked-to-dementia-risk/ and https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2319417018300805 accessed 29/12/18
3. Lung damage in children: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2018/smd/study-of-2000-children-suggests-london-air-pollution-is-restricting-lung-development.html and https://www.who.int/ceh/publications/air-pollution-child-health/en/ accessed 29/12/18
4. Reduced life span: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180822112406.htm and https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa0805646?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article accessed 29/12/18
5. Other health threats: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/74715/E86650.pdf accessed 29/12/18
We, the undersigned, call on Bath and North East Somerset council to approve an effective Clean Air Zone for Bath before March 18th, 2019.
(Please sign ONLY if you are age 12 or over and either live, work or study in Bath and North East Somerset. Other signatures will be rejected by the council. If you do live, work or study in B&NES, please include that address as your local address. Thanks!)
The SUPPORT THE CLEAN AIR ZONE FOR BATH petition to Bath and North East Somerset Council was written by Voters for Clean Air and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.