Support Bamboo Planting and Utilization: Best Solution to Climate Change
- United Nations/Governments
After the conduct of the 2009 INBAR training/workshop on Non-Timber Forest Products in Zheijang, China, it has been established that one of the best if not the best solution to the climate change problem is massive planting of bamboo worldwide. This is considering the natural characteristics of this miracle plant as follows:
1. It is the fastest growing plant in the planet. Some species can actually grow up to 4 feet per day.
2. It is much more sustainable compared to trees. 1 tree planted equals 1 tree harvested at a minimum waiting time of 10 years, whereas, 1 bamboo planted equals more than a hundred that can be harvested at a maximum waiting time of only 5 years and it just grows and grows and multiplies continuously.
3. It is much easier to grow compared to trees. It can grow at any elevation, does not require fertilization and requires little water.
4. It ABSORBS 35% more carbon dioxide and also EMITS 35% more oxygen compared to trees making it the best solution for CARBON SEQUESTRATION. Even finished products like boards, floors, furniture, activated charcoal, cloth, paper, etc will retain carbon for decades.
5. It is the BEST SOURCE OF BIO-OIL/FUEL and BIO-COAL. Copra, oil palm, jathropa, sugar cane, sorghum, cassava, moringa and other sources could not compare with bamboo. This will result in significantly reducing our dependence on fossil fuel which is one of the major causes of climate change and air pollution. Other advantages that can be derived in utilizing bamboo for bio-fuel are;
a. reduce GHG emissions, another major cause of climate change,
b. establishment of land cover which will also result in water conservation and flood control.
6. If massive planting of bamboo will be done worldwide, the climate change problem will be TOTALLY GONE in a matter of only 6 YEARS.
Incidentally, bamboo planting and utilization will also significantly reduce poverty as evidenced by China's bamboo-based industries.
1. Income from bamboo farming is 7 times more compared to rice farming.
2. The bamboo-based industries income of China derived from its 7 million hectares of bamboo plantations last year 2008 was US$15billion.
3. It is the best substitute for wood and its tensile strength is higher than that of soft steel. More use of bamboo and less of wood will be good for the planet.
4. Bamboo is a source of food, lumber, charcoal, pulp for paper, medicines, cloth, some chemicals, bio-oil/fuel, bio-coal and a lot more.
5. Investing in bamboo-based industries will;
a. generate more jobs
b. save foreign exchange
c. motivate countryside economy which will be good for overall economy.
Wherefore, it is urgently recommended that the UNITED NATIONS will convene all the leaders of its member countries and make each country feel responsible to join the battle against climate change and poverty on the side!
To insure success in this areas of activity, every country must adopt conducive, friendly and supportive policies and strategies to motivate their respective citizens to go into massive bamboo planting and utilization in order to achieve the aforementioned objectives and benefits soonest. Strategies that will result in the evolution of bamboo-based industries particularly on bio-fuel production is most highly recommended for reasons previously cited.
The Support Bamboo Planting and Utilization: Best Solution to Climate Change petition to United Nations/Governments was written by Democracy Icawalo and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.