- Mobile phone techs; all phone retailers
- United States of America
There is good reason to believe that Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of an alternative community.
But the technology they use is arguably explicitly chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
We, the undersigned, are not buying or liking a 3G iPhone for any of the following (and many more) reasons:
* iPhone blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on everyone's phones.
* iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology.
* iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
* iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis and Theora.
* iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media formats, and let you use free software.
The Say No to the 3G iPhone petition to Mobile phone techs; all phone retailers was written by John Pope and is in the category Neighborhood Living at GoPetition.