- Dr Jo Medhurst, Director of Director of Clinical Redesign and Governance
- United Kingdom
The Elmstead Rehabilitation Unit is an inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation unit at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup. It has over 400 patients, mainly from Bexley, and provides rehabilitation to people with Multiple Sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, Guillain Barre Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Ataxias and Muscular Dystrophy.
The unit provides vital services. The specialist rehabilitation provided there:
• helps people recover more quickly from a relapse or illness
• helps people maintain their mobility, allowing them to continue working, volunteering and socialising
• allows people to exercise independently in a supportive environment, helping them take control over their condition
• prevents hospital admissions
• enables those that are admitted to leave hospital earlier and in better condition
• provides a place for people to socialise Right now Bexley Care Trust is reviewing the future of the Elmstead Unit.
The Elmstead Unit Campaign Group has formed in response to concern that, in the context of large changes to local health services and financial pressures, the trust will stop or reduce funding for the unit, forcing it to close or reduce its service.
Help us protect the unit and ensure that people with MS and other conditions in Bexley have access to specialist inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Sign our petition now and show Bexley Care Trust how important the unit is.
We the undersigned call upon Bexley Care Trust and South London Healthcare NHS Trust to keep the Elmstead Rehabilitation Unit open and maintain its current services, ensuring that people with Multiple Sclerosis and other conditions in Bexley have access to specialist inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
The Save the Elmstead Rehabilitation Unit petition to Dr Jo Medhurst, Director of Director of Clinical Redesign and Governance was written by Jo Robert and is in the category Health at GoPetition.