- Congress of the United States
- United States of America
The Congress of America has and is failing to legislate effectively due to partisan politics, back door deals, corruption, and the entrenchment of incumbent representatives who are aided by unlimited money donations from special interest groups and Big Business. We have a government that is of the people, but no longer is it for the people.
The book: Throw Them All Out; by Peter Schweizer, published in 2011, clearly documents the corruption in the Congressional Ethics Committee.
The massive government deficit is in danger of destabilizing the entire global economy and for four years our representatives have done nothing.
The goals of this petition are as such: to pass the Congressional Reform Act of 2012: that any time there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.
And that contains the following points:
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
The Petition for the Essential Reform of the American Congress petition to Congress of the United States was written by Dale Christopher and is in the category Government at GoPetition.