The HSE intends to close the Public Health Centre in Passage West and to transfer all services to the new Primary Care Centre on the Crosshaven Road, Carrigaline.
Local primary care is the most human and cost effective way of delivering health services. At present, the bus trip from Passage West to the new Primary Care Centre in Carrigaline takes over two hours in three bus connections. You can see what is involved at https://youtu.be/roMl4JJMtvc. This trip will be prohibitive for many of those who need that care most. Many who need primary care use the existing Public Health Centre every day. Even if there were a direct bus connection between Passage West and Carrigaline, a second connection will always be needed to get to the Primary Care Centre on the Crosshaven Road. Nobody could be expected to make this trip every day for medical care.
The HSE describes the public health service as community health care. Our town of Passage West, a town of almost 6,000 people, is a community of a size and need deserving of direct health care delivery. As taxpayers, we have a say in the delivery of services that we pay for. As taxpayers, we have a stake in the ultimate use of the existing public health centre building. The HSE describes the public health service as community health care. We call on the HSE to deliver that care to our community.
We, the undersigned, call on the HSE to retain a public health centre in Passage West.
- It is not acceptable that a town of 5,800 people would have its local public health centre closed.
- It is not acceptable that all public health services would be transferred to a town that is at least a two hour bus trip away.
- It is not acceptable that the health and social support services our Public Health Centre has offered for many years to the older members of our community, to the young mothers and to those who are unwell would be removed.
- It is not acceptable that the HSE will not engage with our public representatives to discuss a sustainable future for delivery of local public health services directly into Passage West.
- It is not acceptable that the HSE will not engage in discussing a sustainable future for our existing Public Health Centre building.
The Keep Passage West Public Health Centre Open petition to Health Service Executive was written by Marcia D'Alton and is in the category Health at GoPetition.