- Cambridge Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz
- United Kingdom
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE STUDENT OCCUPATION AT CAMBRIDGE HAS ENDED. HOWEVER, I HAVE LEFT THIS PETITION ACTIVE SO THAT INDIVIDUALS CAN CONTINUE TO SHOW THEIR SUPPORT FOR THE STUDENTS.
On November 26, 2010, students at the University of Cambridge occupied the Old Schools Senior Combination Room to protest the British government's proposed fee increases and cuts to higher education. The 500 year old Old Combination Room is the administrative center of the University of Cambridge.
The efforts by Cambridge students are part of a broader struggle on the part of students throughout the United Kingdom to oppose the dismantling of Britain's higher education system and its decline into a privatized system.
Information is available at the website of Cambridge Defend Education: http://www.defendeducation.co.uk/
We, the undersigned, are members of the international community who support the efforts of Cambridge Defend Education to oppose cuts to British higher education.
We support the occupation of the Old Schools Senior Combination Room by students.
We urge the University to treat these peaceful protesters in a respectful manner, not to forcibly evict the students from the Senior Combination Room, to protect the rights of these students, and to hold negotiations with the students.
We support the following statement and demands made by the students:
We, the Cambridge occupation, following a collective and democratic process, make these demands of University of Cambridge management:
1. That the University completely oppose the increase in fees, fight against it and fight against all cuts to education, and use its influence to oppose the spending review’s threat to education, welfare, health, and other public services.
2. That the University use its influence to fight for free education for all.
3. That the University acknowledge and take steps to combat the systemic inequality of access to this elitist institution and the danger of its intensification posed by the scrapping of EMA, a rise in tuition fees and removal of programs such as Aim Higher.
4. That the University declare it will never privatise.
5. That the University commit to ensure the autonomy of education from corporate interests.
6. That the University recognise UCU (University & College Union). We urge post-graduates, academics and all university staff to unionise.
7. That the University ensure that no students who take part in any form of peaceful protest will face disciplinary action.
8. That the University urge Gonville and Caius College to open their library, and allow Caius Students full access. (mission accomplished)
The International Support for Cambridge Defend Education petition to Cambridge Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz was written by Gregory Zucker and is in the category Education at GoPetition.