- United Nations and Government and International Organizations
After the election and the eruption of widespread anti-government protests, through intimidation and false promises, Iranian student Hamed Rouhinejad was forced to plead guilty in a show trials which resulted in issuing a death penalty by branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court. According to his father, Rouhinejad was initially charged with spreading propaganda against the Islamic Republic. At his trial, he was accused of membership in the Association of Iran's Monarchy.
Rouhinejad has denied the charges. On Jan 2010 the death sentence of Hamed was reduced to 10 years of suspended imprisonment by the supreme court.
Hamed suffers from multiple sclerosis, and is in critical condition in Zanjan prison, northwestern Iran, where he is being held in solitary confinement. He has been denied visits and phone calls.
On Oct 19 2010 his father in an interview with radio farda said I visited Hamed 3 weeks ago on that occasion "He was in very poor health, physically and mentally."
He added that physicians at Evin prison and Imam Khomeini hospital have said that Hamed should be released from jail for at least three months for medical treatment, but neither the judge, nor the prosecutor agreed to that.
When he was transferred from Tehran to Zanjan, Hamed’s health deteriorated considerably due to lack of medical care. He is now at serious risk of dementia and death.
His Father added : I ask from all internal and international organizations, the Secretary-General of the UN, and Doctors without Borders to please examine my son’s situation. If they conclude that my son can endure being in prison under these conditions, there will be no objection. But anyone who sees Hamed just for a few minutes knows that he will not survive these conditions. I don’t believe my child will survive another month.
The barbaric human rights violations carried out by the Iranian regime cannot be allowed to continue.
Please do not stand by. Please sign this petition.
Hamed Facebook Page:
We, the undersigned, demand the immediate release of Hamed Rouhinejad.
2) Islamic Regime of Iran must drop all charges against Rouhinejad. The sentence is entirely illegal.
3) They must immediately provide Hamed with medical care and treatment for his Multiple Sclerosis disease.
According to Article 15 of International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: No one shall be held guilty of any criminal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a criminal offence, under national or international law, at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time when the criminal offence was committed. If, subsequent to the commission of the offence, provision is made by law for the imposition of the lighter penalty, the offender shall benefit thereby.”
2. Article 22. Sick prisoners who require specialist treatment shall be transferred to specialized institutions or to civil hospitals. Where hospital facilities are provided in an institution, their equipment, furnishings and pharmaceutical supplies shall be proper for the medical care and treatment of sick prisoners, and there shall be a staff of suitable trained officers.
3. Article 24. The medical officer shall see and examine every prisoner as soon as possible after his admission and thereafter as necessary, with a view particularly to the discovery of physical or mental illness and the taking of all necessary measures; the segregation of prisoners suspected of infectious or contagious conditions; the noting of physical or mental defects which might hamper rehabilitation, and the determination of the physical capacity of every prisoner for work.
4. The medical officer shall have the care of the physical and mental health of the prisoners and should daily see all sick prisoners, all who complain of illness, and any prisoner to whom his attention is specially directed.
5. Article 25. The medical officer shall have the care of the physical and mental health of the prisoners and should daily see all sick prisoners, all who complain of illness, and any prisoner to whom his attention is specially directed.
6. Article 15 of International Covenant on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: States Parties shall take all effective legislative, administrative, judicial or other measures to prevent persons with disabilities, on an equal basis with others, from being subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
All of the above mentioned laws have been broken by the government of Islamic Republic of Iran. Hamed should be innocent of all charges.
We request from the UN Secretary General, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions to submit the file for Iran's crimes against humanity to the UN Security Council to decide on the necessary actions that need to be taken.
Please Help Save Hamed.
The Free Hamed Rouhinejad petition to United Nations and Government and International Organizations was written by unity4iran and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.