- Illinois Department of Transportation, Rockford City Council, Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey
- United States of America
Rockford, Illinois has a growing bicycle culture. Every year, every day, more Rockfordians are using the bike paths in our city, or are attempting to ride bicycles for transportation and commuting.
We believe that Rockford city officials and the Illinois Department of Transportation have a duty to address the infrastructure and safety needs of these riders.
We, the undersigned, believe that Rockford’s roads, neighborhoods and other infrastructure must be developed to support bicyclists and bicycle transportation.
As a result, we are asking that the Illinois Department and Transportation and the City of Rockford plan the Illinois Route 2/North Main Street Development Project to:
• Include both northerly and southerly bicycle lanes along the route from Auburn Street to Riverside Boulevard,
• Connect with the Sinnissippi Bike Path to the south and with the bike lanes at the North Towne shopping center to the north,
• Include sufficient lighting at all hours of the day and night to allow for safe travel for bicyclists along this route and the proposed connections,
• Include adequate signage indicating to cyclists about the existence of the lanes and promoting awareness of cyclists to motorists, and
• Properly and regularly maintain these lanes so that bicycle transportation is possible throughout the year.
The Build Rockford for Biking! petition to Illinois Department of Transportation, Rockford City Council, Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey was written by Lauren Siebert and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.