Boycott Development in Maryland Heights Floodplain
- Maryland Heights City Council and Planning Commission
- United States of America
Since before 2008, the City of Maryland Heights and St. Louis County have been actively encouraging large-scale commercial and residential development in the Missouri River Floodplain adjacent to Creve Coeur Park.
The MH City Council is currently putting out a request for proposals to develop an 1800 acre property that will completely blanket the floodplain with concrete and rooftops. In the Fall of 2015, the city approved a housing development of nearly 1000 homes next to the proposed retail/mixed-use development.
All of this land was just under 1-2 feet of water during the "unprecedented" flood in January (2016).
The plan to turn our floodplain into the largest empty strip mall in the region is sickening enough, but now wealthy developers are asking for the tax payers to pay for the destruction (ahem!) construction with TIF money and/or other tax financing/rebate scams.
We, the undersigned:
1) call on the Maryland Heights City Council and Planning Commission to STOP actively planning for the destruction of our region, by building over the floodplain.
2) promise to BOYCOTT all new businesses and housing developments who build in the floodplain.
3) will hold the City of Maryland Heights and all of the people who vote to allow commercial and residential development in the floodplain personally LIABLE for damages to businesses & residents in the floodplain.
4) demand that the City Council NOT approve public, taxpayer, money be given to any developments or builders who build in the floodplain.
The Boycott Development in Maryland Heights Floodplain petition to Maryland Heights City Council and Planning Commission was written by Maryland Hts Residents for Responsible Growth and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.