- Mayor, City of Armadale and Park Officials of Armadale
There are no public enclosed, off-leash dog parks anywhere within a 20-minute drive of Armadale. The growing number and success of dog parks all over the country demonstrate that when a group of concerned and responsible dog owners work together for an enclosed off-leash dog park, not only can this concept work but it can thrive and enrich the community.
Recreational parks of all kinds increase the livability of a city and provide for a better sense of community. Therefore, we are asking the City of Armadale to approve the construction of an enclosed off-leash dog park for the following reasons:
1 There is not a current public enclosed off-leash dog park in our area to accommodate safe, off-leash dog activities
2 The park would provide a more controlled environment for the socialisation of dogs and reduce the incidence of unwanted dog–human or dog–dog interactions
3 Socialising dogs can be beneficial to the community; the more a dog is socialised the less skittish and less aggressive they become when meeting other dogs and people
4 Regular socialisation leads to calmer, better behaved dogs
5 Many dogs need socialisation above and beyond human limitations; leashes can negatively affect a dog’s confidence when meeting other dogs and create anxieties that can lead to unpredictable behaviours
6 The park would increase opportunities for residents to interact with each other and help develop a sense of community
7 A Dog Park can be used as an opportunity by the City of Armadale to promote and educate the community on, responsible dog ownership.
We, the undersigned, are voicing our support for the creation of an off-leash, fully fenced-in dog park to be created within the City of Armadale located in or near Armadale, WA and in a suitable and acceptable location that benefits the community as a whole.
The proposal will include but not be limited to the following;
• The park is to be of adequate size for numerous dogs to play and socialise comfortably, and to accommodate two designated and separate areas; one for small dogs and puppies, the other for large dogs
• Both areas of the Dog Park are to be completely fenced off and contain an obstacle course
• Both areas of the Dog Park must feature double gated entry / exit points to allow the safe leashing / unleashing of dogs
• The location is to have adequate shade, water points, and seating within the enclosure
• Biodegradable ‘Pooch Pouches’ are to be provided free of charge at the entrance to the Dog Park
• The park is to have adequate and suitable parking
• The park should be near to public amenities and a children’s play area
• The location is to have an adequate residential buffer so as not to impact on or disadvantage surrounding households
• The location is not to conflict with other uses of or activities in the area, or impact on nature reserves and wildlife
• The Dog Park will be free to use.
The aim is to provide a safe, clean and controlled environment where residents and their dogs can socialise and have fun without impacting on the general public or local residents. The park will be designed to satisfy the needs of dog-owners and non-dog owners alike.
We want to create a beautiful, well-maintained space open to all dog lovers and friends who will be willing to uphold the park’s rules and restrictions. In addition to this we aim for the park to be a community project, supported in part by volunteer dog advocates and sponsors and maintained in partnership with the City of Armadale.
The Armadale Dog Park petition to Mayor, City of Armadale and Park Officials of Armadale was written by Armadale Dog Park Petitioners and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.