- Queensland Government
The Tablelands GeneEthics Network formed 18 months ago with the aim of freezing the growth of gene modified crops across the Atherton Tablelands region of North Queensland for a period of 5 years.
In this time a moratorium can allow for proper investigation of the affects of Gene Modified crops in relation to health, environment & industry.
A forum held in Atherton on the 26 March 2001 drew an audience of close to 500 residents to listen to speakers from the Organic farming association, Queensland DPI, Monsanto & Consumer food network.
A questionnaire on the night showed that 89% of attendees agreed to a 5 year moratorium on the Atherton Tablelands.
We the undersigned petition:
A minimum five you freeze on release into the environment of genetically engineered organisms (GEOs) - crops microbes or animals - for research or commercial purposes; imports of genetically engineered foods and GEOs; patents on living organisms.
The Freeze would remain in force until the following are established:
1. An Office of Gene Technology Regulator and national laws on GEOs;
2. Mandatory labels on all foods produced using gene technology;
3. A Biosafety Protocol to ensure safe international transport and use of GEOs;
4. GE free zones where GEO-free crops can be grown without genetic pollution;
5. Independent research showing GEOs are harmless to health and environment;
6. Adverse reactions registers where the public can report any illness from GEOs;
7. A strong, enforceable liability and insurance regime on GEO products;
8. Everyone fully informed on GEOs, leading to democratic decisions on GEO use.
Your petitioners ask you to legislate for a five year freeze on GEOs.
The A 5 Year Freeze on Genetic Engineering petition to Queensland Government was written by Georgina Shaddock and is in the category Science & Technology at GoPetition.