The Declaration of the Citizens of the State of North Carolina, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Citizens; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present Gov. Roy Cooper is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these Citizens. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
1. He is violating ARTICLE I Section 1. of the NC Constitution by denying Citizens liberty, the enjoyment of the fruits of their own labor, and the pursuit of happiness.
2. He is violating the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution, by depriving of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
3. He has violated the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution by arresting people for their right to peaceably assemble, prevented the exercise and freedom of religion, and is currently restricting the press. According the Article 1 Section 14 of the NC Constitution, Freedom of speech and of the press are two of the great bulwarks of liberty and therefore shall never be restrained, but every person shall be held responsible for their abuse.
4. He has denied 14th amendment rights equal protection under the NC Constitution. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
5. He is Violating the NC Emergency Powers Act § 166A-19.30. Additional powers of the Governor during state of emergency, by issuing executive orders without concurrence of the Council of State.
6. He is communicating illegal Executive Orders to the public.
7. He has restricted interstate commerce.
8. He is manipulating data outputs by refusing to provide all-encompassing data which is leading to improper medical decisions to be made by un-elected bureaucrats to fit a political narrative.
9. He is selectively prosecuting business owners for utilizing their first Amendment rights to publicly dissent against his actions, while allowing large corporations who provide campaign funds to operate.
10. He has falsely imprisoned Citizens under the guise of safety by restricting them to their homes, during the Stay at Home Order, with no recourse in the courts, a violation of the NC Constitution Article 1, Section 18.
11. He is arbitrarily defining Covid 19 occupancy capacities, with no medical basis.
12. He is eliminating Citizens access to public services and property, though we dutifully paid for them through our taxes.
13. He is communicating a manipulation of trespass laws to appear as mandates, which are declared under an illegal executive order. This is creating chaos and burdens within the private sector. He has publicly misled the people by referring to this as law, leading to physical altercations, including a shooting, for which he should be held responsible.
14. He is mismanaging the NCDHHS response to congregate living settings, operating outside the guidance of Vice President Pence. The majority of Covid19 deaths in the state of NC are attributed to these facilities.
15. He is denying children their right to an education under the Article 1, Section 15 of the NC Constitution, failing to provide an acceptable alternative, even though the data does not warrant the response he has taken.
16. He is, by establishing essential and non-essential businesses, creating monopolies in the State of NC, in violation of Article 1, Section 34 of the NC Constitution, Perpetuities and monopolies are contrary to the genius of a free state and shall not be allowed.
17. He is restricting counties from individual operation, even though their medical data did not warrant a state directed response.
18. He is depriving Citizens in many cases, of the benefits of trial by jury, by the closing of our courts and limiting access by requiring people submit medical records and wear masks upon entry.
19. He has deepened the patrician divide among us, turning a national crisis into political theater.
We acknowledge this list is incomplete. There are other grievances of the Citizens of the State of NC.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
We, therefore, the Citizens of the State of North Carolina and the United States of America, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of this state, solemnly publish and declare, That the Citizens of North Carolina, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Citizens; that we are Absolved from all Allegiance to Roy Cooper, and that all political connection between them and Roy Cooper, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent Citizens, we have full power to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Citizens may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
The The Declaration of the Citizens of the State of North Carolina petition to North Carolina was written by Ashley Smith and is in the category Patriotism at GoPetition.