Support Anomalie Clothing's Application to Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire
- Cr John Erren, Shire President, Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire, 6 Paterson Street, Mundijong WA 6123
Anomalie Clothing is a small business operated by a sole trader and Byford resident. A Development Application was submitted to the Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire on 11 December 2015 entitled Change of Use of Part of Building to Shop - 810 South Western Highway Byford. The Shire President, Councillors, and Planning Staff at the Shire indicated that an application to use the shop front at the residence for a small home based retail business was likely be successful.
4 months later, I was told that the neighbouring properties consulted had no objections, that the Shire had no objections and was just waiting for Main Roads approval. Main Roads have given their approval and now (6 months after submission) the Shire has indicated that they may reject the application unless I can provide further justification.
The following arguments will be presented to support the initial application:
- The premises was previously used as a small retail shop selling candles, wax melts and accessories, so this isn't technically a change of use, but a continuation of its existing use.
- Anomalie Clothing has proposed the same opening hours as the previous business - 5 hours a day, 5 days a week.
- Prior to being used as a candle shop, the premises was well known to the local community as having been a very popular day spa, and before that, a hairdressing salon.
- The Vintage style of Anomalie Clothing complements the country look and feel of the area, a characteristic that the Shire actively promotes.
- A temporary 2 year approval would be acceptable, after which time Anomalie Clothing could possibly move on to a dedicated retail premises and provide employment opportunities to local residents.
I am hoping that a show of support from the community will encourage the Shire to give this small business a chance of survival, and offer its residents a local place to shop for Vintage Inspired clothing and accessories.
We, the residents of Serpentine Jarrahdale, request that the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale approve the Development Application for Change of Use of Part of Building to Shop, submitted on 11 December 2015, to allow Anomalie Clothing to operate at 810 South Western Highway, Byford.
The Support Anomalie Clothing's Application to Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire petition to Cr John Erren, Shire President, Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire, 6 Paterson Street, Mundijong WA 6123 was written by Anomalie Clothing and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.