Stop Aerial Spraying In Sacramento and Yolo Counties
- Jennifer DeLugach
- Closed on
- Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District
- United States of America
It was my first time trying to set up a petition and I had a hard time getting it up and running here so I ended up using a different site. Your site actually has more features than the other site, but perhaps that made it more confusing to me. Also I did not receive fast communication from gopetition when I asked questions. That also wasn't completely your fault as your mail went to my bulk folder and I didn't think to look for it there. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience I caused. I am new to this petition thing.
Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District will begin aerial spraying of insecticides in Sacramento County on Monday, August 8, 2005 to reduce adult mosquitoes and West Nile Virus. 125 square miles are slated to be sprayed 3 nights in a row and then more spraying is planned for the days following although a map of those areas has not yet been provided to the public. Residents were given little notice and no input in this decision that affects the entire community. The risks of massive area spraying outweigh the potential short term benefits.
The county's plan for aerial spraying will do more harm than good.
1. Beneficial insects and animals that eat mosquitoes and are important to the ecosystem will also be greatly affected by the pesticides.
2. The mosquitoes that do survive the spraying will likely develop resistance to the insecticide so future spraying will be even less effective and require stronger more dangerous chemicals creating a vicious cycle.
3. The million dollars the county is spending on aerial spraying could be better spent on safer more effective methods of reducing mosquito populations.
4. Aerial spraying of insecticides is risky to our health. No one knows the long term effects of such a vast spray campaign. The chemicals in the insecticides have never been tested on women or children and have never been tested for any long term effects. They will stay in the environment long after the spraying is completed.
We the undersigned oppose aerial spraying of insecticides. We urge the Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District to stop the aerial spraying.
The Stop Aerial Spraying In Sacramento and Yolo Counties petition to Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District was written by Jennifer DeLugach and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.