- London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
- United Kingdom
With a new school meals contract due to start in September 2011, Richmond Council has an ideal opportunity, and the lead-time required, to make the borough’s school meal service a model of excellence for local authorities across the country.
We are residents of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and we care about what our children eat at school. We support School Food Matters in its call for Council to:
• invest in school kitchens to enable all schools to have fresh food cooked on site;
• invest in catering staff with training and enough paid hours to enable them to cook fresh food on site;
• write stringent contract specifications for the next tender document, committing to fresh produce from local* and sustainable sources;
• promote farm visits and cooking and growing programmes in schools to support food education, thus teaching vital life skills.
* SFM defines “local” as "nearest accessible source"
The School Food Matters petition to London Borough of Richmond upon Thames was written by Stephanie Wood and is in the category Health at GoPetition.