Review the importation and breeding of Savannah cats in Australia
- Closed on
- Importers/owners of Savannah cats in Australia
The petition has been closed and sent to the Government's Draft submission on July 17.
Thank you to all that have been involved in every sense!
Now we wait and see the outcome.....
Once again, thanks!
cheers, John Faulkner
Savannahs are considered one of the larger breeds of domesticated cats. They are a crossbreed of a Serval (a wild African predator) and domestic cat.
Servals prey on hares, ground squirrels, hyraxes, snakes, lizards, mole rats, frogs, insects, birds (quails, flamingoes, quelea, and teal). They have been known to take domestic poultry.
Larger animals such as vlei rats and even small antelopes are preferred, if they can be easily taken. Savannahs are obviously smaller and unlikely to take on larger prey, but there is the suggestion that they could attack Koalas (who have, up until now, had no natural climbing predator.
These animals pose a high potential of risk to our natural eco-system.
Hon MP Peter Garrett,
We, the undersigned, call on you to review the importation and breeding of Savannah cats in Australia.
- This breed poses an unacceptably high risk to our native fauna.
- This breed is an unknown quantity in every sense.
- This breed has only been hybridised in the past 22 years (in the US) and the long term effects are still inconclusive.
- This breed is partly wild African cat, and as all descriptions suggest, is very curious and aggressive.
- Australia already has feral animals in plague preportion (deer, pig, cat, toad and goat et al), and we feel introducing another risk is both unwise and unacceptable.
- We also have doubts about the ways in which these animals will be housed. The current gudelines by the Australian importers 'Savannah Cats Australia' are ambiguous at best.
- The RSPCA and other animal welfare groups are against the importation of this animal.
The Review the importation and breeding of Savannah cats in Australia petition to Importers/owners of Savannah cats in Australia was written by tooninoz and is in the category Animal Welfare at GoPetition.