If you want to see change to Ontario elementary math education, sign this petition.
For over 10 yrs. elementary students have struggled with a poor math curriculum, confusing texts and convoluted teaching methods.
Families have paid thousands of dollars to tutoring centres or tutors. A 2 tier system has become entrenched in Ontario, as many families cannot pay tutors and have watched their children fall further and further behind.
IF YOU SIGNED ONTARIO MATH PETITION NUMBER 1, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THIS PETITION AND UNDERSTAND THAT SIGNATURES CAN AND WILL BE CHECKED.
We the undersigned, call on Hon. Mitzie Hunter, to provide elementary students with a thorough, complete and age appropriate math curriculum. We expect teachers to be provided with excellent texts and resources and that they be allowed to use methods that will allow our children actually to learn math in school.
Our children should learn all basics in school and review at home.
- Standard algorithms are essential.
- Time must be provided in school for practice so that children can learn arithmetic, which is essential for more complex work.
- There should be ample time provided for teachers to teach using direct instruction.
- There should be far less emphasis on collaboration, group work and children attempting to teach each other.
- Topics should be age appropriate.
- Some time (about 20%) should be provided for motivational, inquiry-based, student-generated activities.
The Ontario Math Petition Number 2 petition to Hon. Mitzie Hunter, Minister of Ed. Ontario was written by Teresa Murray and is in the category Education at GoPetition.