Worthing Borough Council must emulate other local councils and declare a climate emergency. We have an opportunity to be one of the leaders on environmental issues.
All governments and councils (national, regional and local) have a duty to limit the negative impacts of Climate Breakdown, and local councils that recognise this should not wait for their national governments to change their policies. It is important for the residents of Worthing and the UK that communities commit to carbon neutrality as quickly as possible.
The consequences of global temperature rising above 1.5°C are so severe that preventing this from happening must be humanity’s number one priority.
Bold climate action can deliver economic benefits in terms of new jobs, economic savings and market opportunities (as well as improved well-being for people in Worthing, the region and worldwide).
We call on Worthing Borough Council to declare a Climate Emergency:
1. Pledge to make Worthing Borough Council carbon neutral by 2030, taking into account both production and consumption of emissions;
2. Ensure Worthing Council’s leadership continues by practising and promoting investment in renewable technologies by Worthing Borough Council, its business delivery partners, suppliers and businesses trading within and from the Worthing area;
3. Work with other councils to insist that Westminster and the County Council provide the powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible and to determine and implement the best practice methods to limit Global Warming to less than 1.5°C;
4. Continue to work with partners across Worthing and more widely to deliver this new goal through all relevant strategies and plans;
5. Provide an outline strategy by 1st September 2019 to ensure the transition to a zero carbon future by 2030 is initiated.
The Worthing to be Zero Carbon by 2030 petition to Worthing Borough Council was written by Jo Paul and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.