- Fijian Government
Rapist SHOULD be charged with harsher sentencing to pay for what they have done to innocent lives. They have left horrible scars for a lifetime which some victims will never ever forget. While an offence of rape already carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment in Fiji therefore the penalty for the offence cannot be increased any further. However we feel that the sentencing 7 to 15 years of imprisonment for the rape of adults and 10 to 16 years for the rape of minors is not fair for rape victims.
We demand harsher penalties for child rapists and for relatives/ those individuals in whom children have placed their trust in, but who have betrayed that trust by violating their bodies.
In addition we also demand Fijian Government to open up a Sex Offenders Register in Fiji. Everyone that commits a sex crime must be registered and their movement after they have served their jail time to be monitored by the Fiji Police Force. It will be a mandatory requirement when they move from one place to another that they inform police and police are to inform the community that they are moving into.
Australia, NZ, USA and even Samoa have a sex offenders' register. A sex offender register is a life sentence alternative - people who are registered sex offenders cannot have their records with police expunged when they apply for a rehab certificate. It is going to be there until they die.
- 23-year-old man raped an 8-year-old girl and was given only 13 years jail time in 2014.
- 22-year-old man raped an 9-year-old boy and was given 9 years jail time in 2014.
- 41-year-old man raped a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old woman and was given 13 years jail time in 2015.
- 75-year-old man raped his granddaughter who was in class one from 2008 to 2011 and was given 11 years jail time in 2015.
- 31-year-old man raped 6-year-old girl and was given 10 years and 6 months jail time in 2015.
- A young man raped 63-year-old man and was given 8 years jail time in 2015.
- 34-year-old man raped 12-year-old girl in 2011 and was given 13 years and 9 months jail time in 2015.
- 55-year-old man raped his 23-year-old daughter and was given 11 years jail time in 2015.
- 37-year- old man raped his 2 daughters over a period of 9 years and was given 16 years jail time in 2015.
- 36-year-old man raped his 14-year-old daughter was given 14 years jail time in 2015.
- 56-year-old man began the sexual abuse when his daughter was 13 years old. He continued raping her until the victim turned 17 he was given 17 years jail time in 2015.
We, the undersigned, call on the Fijian Government to make changes to local laws and policies so that rapists are given harsher sentences.
We also call on the Fijian Government to set up a Sex Offenders' Register.
The We Want Harsher Sentencing for Rapists in Fiji petition to Fijian Government was written by Aspire Network and is in the category Government at GoPetition.