- Government of Canada
· Our country was founded under the influence and affluence of immigrants from all parts of the world. Canada is a place where we all can live and raise our families in peace, with equal rights and opportunities, without being discriminated against for our social status, race or economic situation, under the guarantees set out in our Constitution;
· Our Canadian Human Rights Act expresses in its Purpose that it is a principle that all individuals should have an opportunity equal with other individuals to make for themselves the lives that they are able and wish to have and to have their needs accommodated, consistent with their duties and obligations as members of society, without being hindered or prevented from doing so by discriminatory practices based on race, national or ethnic origin, among other reasons;
· It is very common in our country to find families divided by our borders, families and friends that, for different circumstances and humanitarian reasons, have been a part for several years. It is also very common that the same Canada that once guaranteed and respected our political status and beliefs, and the same immigration system that once was very generous to us, is now an obstacle to meet our family and friends in Canada, by imposing requirements to our relatives outside the country that in many cases are impossible to achieve, denying to all of us the chance to be with our loved ones.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship to:
evaluate and implement, with the approval of our Parliament, the following three proposed changes to our visitor’s visa program, in order to facilitate, and in many cases to enable, the efforts of citizens to invite relatives and friends, without being continuously denied the right to meet with them, and also to prevent our immigration system from labelling our loved ones as strangers or opportunistic people:
1. the Invitation Letter, written and signed by a Canadian citizen currently living in Canada and extended to friends or relatives living outside of our borders, will be considered legitimate based on its sincere intentions and trusted by our immigration system as a document that truly expresses the intentions of the visitor to our country.
2. the economic conditions, political believes and country of origin of the invitee won’t be considered as a deterrent factor when evaluating his/her prospect to visit our country. The Canadian resident inviting, should demonstrate and provide his/her ability to cover all the expenses of the person visiting.
3. Both parties, the Canadian Citizen extending an invitation and the invitee, will sign an agreement that prohibits the visitor to stay in our country once the visitor visa has expired and/or to apply for any other immigration program or any type of asylum during his/her visit. Failing to do so will prevent the parties from taking advantage of this visitor's program in the future, and will prevent the visitor from acquiring visitor's visa for further trips to Canada.
The Visitor Visas to Canada E-1591 opened for signatures petition to Government of Canada was written by Diego Cobian and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.