- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3D, Councilmember Mary Cheh, Mayor Vincent Gray, the Office o
- United States of America
American University has been and continues to be an integral part of Spring Valley and the surrounding District. As the academic prominence of the University continues to strengthen, AU will continue its longstanding social and economic contributions to Washington, DC.
AU injects $400 million dollars annually into the DC economy, attracts guests from around the country, and creates job opportunities for residents. AU students also spend thousands of hours per year performing community service projects throughout the greater DC area, and a large proportion of AU students work hard at internships at hundreds of DC institutions each semester.
The 2011 Campus Plan contains provisions that will enhance undergraduate housing, provide recreational and dining space for students on-campus, create a new law school campus more accessible to public transportation, and establish an alumni center to serve our graduates.
Highlighted proposals in the Campus Plan include:
• The expansion of on-campus housing to 4,300 total beds.
• A new East Campus with 6 buildings and an underground parking garage.
• An addition to the north end of the Kay Spiritual Life Center to support the needs of “AU’s diverse community”.
• The renovation of Reeves Field to increase total capacity from 800 to 2,800 by building over the existing outdoor tennis courts and connecting it to the current Sports Center Annex.
• The renovation of American University’s Tenley Campus to be the new home of the Washington College of Law.
• A Green Building Policy that mandates new construction, major renovations, and operations and maintenance conform to LEED Silver standards or better
We, the undersigned, strongly support the highlighted measures and the draft of American University’s 2011 Campus Plan.
As such, we encourage Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3D, Councilmember Mary Cheh, Mayor Vincent Gray, the Office of Planning, and the Zoning Commission to support a plan that will result in a stronger American University that can better meet its obligations to the surrounding community.
The Support the American University Campus Plan petition to Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3D, Councilmember Mary Cheh, Mayor Vincent Gray, the Office o was written by DC Students Speak and is in the category Neighborhood Living at GoPetition.