Stop the Redevelopment of Main Street, Port Washington, NY
- Town of North Hempstead, Town Supervisor Kaiman and Town Board Members
- United States of America
The Town of North Hempstead's rezoning proposal is not a comprehensive plan that will beautify Main Street. Instead, the establishment of this overlay district on sections of upper and lower Main Street in Port Washington, New York:
- Would encourage the redevelopment of new blocks of three-story, 45' high, mixed-use buildings (apartments above retail/commercial). The introduction of this cityscape will irreversibly impact the scale and character of our town. Proponents of the proposal have called the rezoning the "first step" in the redevelopment of Main Street and Port Washington.
- Would not create a more vibrant Main Street. Vibrancy derives from people frequenting successful businesses, and this proposal does not target or identify new businesses appropriate for Main Street. Existing businesses could be displaced by construction.
- Is not linked to the promised Main Street beautification efforts (cleanliness, sidewalk and storefront improvements) which were promoted in earlier presentations. Beautification could and should be progressed without rezoning.
- Would confer decision-making authority about architecture and use to the Town Board. Design should not be regulated by the Town Board.
- Does not include a workable solution to address ongoing traffic issues or alleviate parking problems, which persist in and around Main Street. The "shared parking" approach would burden surrounding streets and existing municipal lots.
- Is targeted to "incentivize" selected commercial property owners to improve their properties. What benefits are Port Washington residents receiving in return? Changes to the overlay district boundaries and code continue to be made behind closed doors without public dialog.
For more information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We, the undersigned, call on the Town Board of the Town of North Hempstead, New York to vote no on the establishment of an overlay district and the associated zoning code amendment as currently proposed for Main Street, Port Washington, New York.
The Stop the Redevelopment of Main Street, Port Washington, NY petition to Town of North Hempstead, Town Supervisor Kaiman and Town Board Members was written by Laura Shabe, Port Washington Voice and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.