- UK government, US Government, UN Security Council, HR Organisations
The attack by Iraqi forces against the unarmed civilian population in Camp Ashraf has left 11 people dead and over 450 severely injured thus far. The brutal attack amounts to a crime against humanity. Iraqi police have since 28 July beaten the residents who are all members of the main Iranian opposition group, the People's Mojahedin Organisation of Iran (PMOI). No food or doctors and journalists have been allowed into the camp. 36 residents were kidnapped and the Iraqi police even ran over 14 of the residents with their loaders and armoured vehicles.
Amnesty International said hundreds of Iraqi armed forces used tear gas, water cannons and batons against unarmed residents who tried to stop them from entering the camp. "Video footage clearly shows Iraqi forces beating people repeatedly on different parts of the body, including the head", the human rights group said. Please watch these clips and judge for yourself:
Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJxMaN4C4A (8min)
Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGyyYVzlAw (7min)
The criminal operation against Ashraf residents, who are all “protected persons” under the Fourth Geneva Convention, was carried out at the request of the Iranian regime’s Supreme Leader.
1. Iraqi forces must immediately withdraw from Ashraf;
2. US forces, must assume responsibility for protecting Ashraf;
3. Lawyers and international human rights organisations, which have been banned for the past year, must be allowed in Ashraf;
4. The UN must send a permanent monitoring team to be stationed in Iraq and monitor the situation;
5. Guarantees that the dissidents in Ashraf will be protected and that they will not be displaced against their will in Iraq.
The Stop the massacre of Iranian opponents in Ashraf petition to UK government, US Government, UN Security Council, HR Organisations was written by Ka Veh and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.