Southwark Park Under Threat
- UK Power Networks and Southwark Council
- United Kingdom
UK Power Networks are planning to dig a deep tunnel for electric cables to improve power supply to the City of London and want to use Southwark Park as their main works compound. If Southwark Council grant planning permission they aim to start on site in November 2011 and will be there for up to two years.
The Friends of Southwark Park strongly oppose the plan because it will:
· Stop the public using a large area within the park between the China Hall entrance and Hawkstone Road (4200m2)
· Turn the southern end of the park into an eyesore, with green space, flowers and trees giving way to hoardings, cranes, compressors, excavating machines and staff offices
· Disrupt the landscape and wildlife and increase noise and nuisance for park users and nearby residents
· Add to traffic congestion in the area with over 20 lorries a day taking away the spoil from the tunnel
· Lead to a loss of public land because UK Power Networks will have access rights to their tunnel forever
· Undermine all of the good work carried out over the last ten years to improve the park.
We believe the plans are completely inappropriate for our park and call upon you to help us in urging UK Power Networks and Southwark Council to think again.
We, the undersigned, call on UK Power Networks to abandon their plans to use English Heritage Grade 2 Listed Southwark Park for a deep tunneling project, and instead, work with Southwark Council to find an alternative brown field site for their works compound.
You can further help this campaign by sponsoring it
The Southwark Park Under Threat petition to UK Power Networks and Southwark Council was written by FoSP and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.