- Organisation Intersex International
Intersex has consistently been erased from social consciousness and pathologized. The current move to replace intersex with the term “disorders of sex development” will once again erase intersex visibility and reinforce the stigma and shame that so many intersex people have worked so hard to overcome.
We ask all people who support diversity and reject the sexism implicit in the social, not natural, construct of sex and gender as a binary to join the Organisation Intersex International in the following set of Fundamental Principles.
I support the following Declaration of Fundamental Principles of the Organisation Intersex International and hereby express my solidarity with the Intersex community:
1) Intersex is not a disorder of sex development: intersex refers to those individuals born of intermediate sex - between what is considered standard for male or female in our societies.
2) Contrary to what is often asserted, the various degrees of intersex are not innately an illness or deformity. They are simply variations of the human body similar to the length of the nose, the colour of eyes, etc.
3) We reject medical categories for the various degrees of intersex, which are in fact only different reference points on a natural continuum of anatomical and genetic variations.
4) We stress the whole person from infancy through adulthood and choose not to focus on an individual's genitalia. We are people, not genitals. As people, we have a right to our own genitalia and our own identity without interference, forced treatment or other coercion from legal and/or medical authorities.
5) The basic problems faced by the intersexed are socio-cultural in nature and not medical and are a result of the dogmatic fundamentalism inherent in the current binary construct of sex and gender. Some intersexed individuals are subjected to genital mutilation in childhood as a result of this totalitarian, sexist oppression. For this reason, we denounce all forms of sexism prevalent in our societies, which is principally directed against women, the intersexed, and other communities which challenge sex and gender norms.
6) To promote visibility and the recognition of our existence as a normal and natural part of humanity will benefit not only the intersexed but all people oppressed by the sexism which prevails in our societies.
The Solidarity with the Intersex Community petition to Organisation Intersex International was written by Curtis E. Hinkle and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.