There are currently 5 unemployed people per vacancy in the UK: around 2.5 million unemployed, of whom around 1.5 million claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), and only half a million vacancies. (Source: Office for National Statistics)
What if the 4 out of 5 who will never fill the existing vacancies could instead create their own jobs?
This proposal is based on a simple principle: "Use what we have, to do what we most want in our communities." (www.londoncreativelabs.com)
We envisage Jobcreator's Allowance as an optional alternative to JSA. Claimants will receive an equal amount of money, but instead of being required to show evidence of job search, they will participate in a job creation programme supported by a combination of peers and experts.
The programme will be carefully designed and tested to ensure it reliably generates job opportunities and sustainable business structures. One model already being prototyped is London Creative Labs' process of Skills Camps and Social Startup Labs: www.londoncreativelabs.com
The idea for this petition was developed by a group of 5 people (Hannah Lewis, Eric Donovan, Lana Lim, Ed Whyman and Al Mead) at a Social Startup Lab on 15 June (http://socialstartuplabs-1.eventbrite.com/).
If you wish to contribute to developing the proposal for Jobcreator's Allowance, please join us on:
- London Creative Labs: http://grou.ps/londoncreativelabs/groups/45685
- facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jobcreators-Allowance/123437034364378
We, the undersigned, call on the UK Government to set up Jobcreator's Allowance (JCA) as an alternative to Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).
There are currently 5 unemployed people per vacancy in the UK. In the words of a poster spotted in a Brixton shop, "There won't be work left for us unless we create it."
Jobcreator's Allowance claimants will:
- Identify their skills, life experiences, and motivations.
- Consider how these personal resources could contribute to meeting needs and solving problems in the community around them: these are the opportunities for job creation.
- Be connected to a network of organisations and individuals who will support them in realising these opportunities.
The Set up Jobcreator's Allowance as an alternative to Jobseeker's Allowance petition to UK Government was written by Hannah Lewis and is in the category Employment at GoPetition.