- THE LABOUR BRITISH GOVERNMENT
- Turks and Caicos Islands
On Monday March 16, 2009 His Excellency the Governor of the TCI released the Interim Report of Sir Robin Auld on corruption or other serious dishonesty in relation to past and present elected members of the TCI Legislature in recent years.
His Excellency the Governor made an official press release outlining the actions decided upon by HMG in light of the Interim Report.
Without consultation, the British Government has bypassed the people of the Turks & Caicos Islands and intends to take the following actions through Order in Council in the British House of Parliament on March 25, 2009:
1. PARTIALLY SUSPEND OUR CONSTITUTION FOR 2 YEARS INITIALLY. THIS PERIOD CAN BE EXTENDED OR SHORTENED.
2. SUSPEND THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY. WE WILL NO LONGER HAVE AN ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES TO LISTEN TO OUR CONCERNS AND ADDRESS THEM.
3. THE BRITISH TO RULE US DIRECTLY THROUGH THE GOVERNOR AND WHOEVER HE CHOOSES TO ASSIST HIM, WHOSE ADVICE HE IS NOT BOUND TO ACCEPT.
4. CRIMINAL TRIAL BY JUDGE ALONE. THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO BE TRIED BY A JURY OF YOUR FELLOW CITIZENS WILL BE ELIMINATED.
5. ENLARGEMENT OF THE FRANCHISE. NON-BELONGERS WHO ARE RESIDENT IN THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS WILL BE ALLOWED TO VOTE IN OUR GENERAL ELECTIONS.
BY our signatures below we the people of Turks and Caicos signify that we oppose the steps the British Government has outlined through His Excellency the Governor on Monday March 16, 2009.
BY our signatures below we signify that the British Government does not enjoy the support, understanding and participation of the people of the TCI for their actions.
BY our signatures below we signify that we do not agree that these actions by the British Government is the way forward to ensure that the principles of good governance are restored in the Territory.
The Say No to the British Government's Suspension of Our Constitution petition to THE LABOUR BRITISH GOVERNMENT was written by TURKSANDCAICOS and is in the category International Affairs at GoPetition.