PLEASE HELP SAVE VICTOR'S HEART BEFORE IT BREAKS.
What a new Coles town centre will mean :
1. Death of 150 year old CBD, Ocean Street, which is inhabited by many locally owned and operated businesses.
2. Tourists disappear as Victor Harbor loses it's coastal town charm and becomes just another Adelaide suburban clone.
3. Unemployment rises as Coles requires LESS staff, businesses close and even in the building stage, COLES imports their own tradespeople.
4. Property values decline in the town centre and around the MEGASTORE.
5. Residents of McCracken and Rapid drive lose lifestyle as the traffic flow increases at least ten fold, including large delivery trucks etc. Noise pollution also increases.
6. We already have a large shopping centre, which even now has multiple empty stores. How can we justify a MEGASTORE with accompanying specialty stores, if we can't even fill a small centre?
7. Storm water? Where will it go?
8. Kiss goodbye to the 40kms zone in Rapid drive as the influx of traffic causes it to become extremely congested and dangerous.
9. Remember for every $1 spent at local businesses, it grows to a $3 injection into our local community.
10. Local sports and community groups will suffer with the decline of local businesses as they will lose their local financial backing from their town.
THIS IS NOT OUR SCENARIO.
The results have been proven and researched in other small communities where the megastores have been allowed to build their complexes. 40 jobs alone were lost at Myrtleford Foodworks after the big chair wrecking hit NEARBY Bright, a holiday town like Victor.
COLES is attempting to sway our local government by funding the rezoning so they can push ahead with their plans.
WE HAVE ONLY A SHORT TIME TO REACT TO STOP THIS.
Please submit all concerns to the local government at -
(Centres Review DPA)
PO Box 11 Victor Harbor SA 5211
or in person at
City of Victor Harbor Civic Centre
1 Bay Road, Victor Harbor
We the undersigned, petition the City Council of Victor Harbor to prevent the building of Coles Megastore by disallowing the rezoning of the old TAFE site on the Adelaide Road in Victor Harbor.
We are aware allowing this Megastore to go ahead will destroy the historic CBD location of Ocean Street, forcing locally owned and run businesses into closure due to lack of custom and tourist dollars.
We demand that the City Council of Victor Harbor deny Coles renozing application immediately.
The Save Victor's Heart petition to City Manager, City Council of Victor Harbor was written by Save Victors Heart. and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.