- North Sydney Council
On the 14 June 2010, North Sydney Council approved the removal of the following trees from the Australian Catholic University, Edward Street Campus.
• 11 Weeping Figs
• 1 Brushbox
• 2 Himalayan Cedars
The Council received the application for the removal of these trees on 1 June 2010. Approval was granted in less than two weeks. No community consultation took place.
This removal represents an enormous change to Riley Street, Edward Street and the character of a much wider area as well as threatening the tawny frogmouth owls that depend on the trees.
We, the undersigned, call upon North Sydney Council to:
• Provide information on the June 2010 DA approval process.
• Undertake an independent external assessment of issues relevant to the trees and the 1984 Joanne Green Landscaping plan for the ACU.
• Make the external assessment report available to the community.
• Ensure detailed discussion between internal Council Departments on this request and other Council Area landscape decisions.
• Incorporate community consultation on this and other large scale landscaping issues such as Shore/Graythwaite if it comes before Council.
• Provide information on replacement tree cover if any.
The Save the Trees, ACU North Sydney petition to North Sydney Council was written by Caroline and is in the category Local Government at GoPetition.