We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the Cleveland Indians honor Rocky Colavito with a statue at Progressive Field.
Rocky's major career (1955-1968) accomplishments:
- 374 home runs (During that stretch, only six players hit more home
- 1,159 runs batted in (During that stretch, only four players had more
runs batted in.)
- Played in 9 all-star games
- Led the league in home runs (42) in 1959
- Led the league in runs batted in (108) in 1965
- Played every game without making an error in 1965 (the first outfielder in
American League history to do so)
- Hit 4 home runs in consecutive at bats on June 10, 1959 (one of only 18
players in major league history to hit 4 in one game and one of only 6
players to do so in consecutive at bats.)
- Hit more than 40 home runs three times, and had more than 100 runs batted in six times
In addition, his return to the Indians in 1965 is credited in large part with saving a franchise that was in danger of moving out of Cleveland. In 1976, he was voted Most Memorable Personality by the fans.
We know, from communication with the front office, that Rocky’s name is in the discussion for a statue. This outstanding player and human being was a hero to a generation of fans and an impeccable role model for kids. In consideration of his impressive accomplishments on the field and his personal integrity and character, we feel he is truly deserving of this honor. Rocky has always professed his love for the city of Cleveland and judging from the ovations he still receives at appearances at Progressive Field, the feeling is mutual. Please let’s make this statue a reality in his lifetime.
By signing this, we agree that Rocky Colavito should have a statue at Progressive Field.
The Rocky Colavito Deserves a Statue at Progressive Field petition to Cleveland Indians Front Office was written by Ida Pocci and is in the category Sports at GoPetition.