- Sarasota City Commissioners
- United States of America
Since 1925, the bridge linking the Sarasota mainland to Saint Armands Key has been known as the John Ringling Causeway Bridge.
John Ringling has a long history with the city of Sarasota. John and his wife Mabel called the city home during the winter months. John Ringling constructed the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art and gave it to the State of Florida upon his death.
Ringling also developed much of the barrier island region of Sarasota. Ringling's partner, Owen Burns, built the John Ringling Causeway bridge in 1925 to allow people to purchase land that Ringling developed in the Lido Key area.
The bridge located on State Road 789/Gulfstream Avenue between Sunset Drive and Bird Key Drive in the city of Sarasota was unanimously renamed the Gil Waters Bridge according to Resolution No. 08R-2045 during the July 21, 2008 Regular City Commission Meeting.
We request that the original name be reinstated so that the bridge will once again be called the John Ringling Causeway Bridge.
Our Media Coverage
ABC 7 Story - July 28, 2008
Herald-Tribune Editorial - July 29, 2008
Herald-Tribune Story - July 30, 2008
Tampa Bay's 10 News Story - July 30, 2008
Herald-Tribune Story - July 31, 2008
We, the undersigned, call on the Sarasota City Commissioners (Mayor Lou Ann Palmer, Vice-Mayor Ken Shelin, Fredd "Glossie" Atkins, Richard Clapp, Kelly M. Kirschner) to reconsider the passing of Resolution No. 08R-2045 during the July 21, 2008 Regular City Commission Meeting.
We request the the original name of the John Ringling Causeway Bridge be reinstated.
The Reverse name change of John Ringling Causeway Bridge petition to Sarasota City Commissioners was written by Alex Yoder and is in the category Roads & Transport at GoPetition.