- The Chapel Hill Town Council and Town Manager
- United States of America
Thank you for signing this petition! We did not succeed in convincing the Council to pass a code that would require these steps to improve the form based code. Four years later, we continue to work diligently to revise the current Code. The Town Council will vote on one improvement - requiring more commercial - on June 27th 2018. The Council is considering reducing the massive size of building this coming fall. To stay involved and informed, please sign up for the CHALT newsletter at www.CHALT.org. Thank you for your support and we urge you to continue to make your voice heard.
Whereas, the Town Council is considering upzoning all properties within the Ephesus - Fordham study area;
Whereas the Town Council is considering a Code of standards that will apply to this area;
Whereas, the Code standards together with the new zones would replace Council approval and citizen participation for all future development proposals;
Whereas, thousands of people in the surrounding neighborhoods patronize the popular businesses that we value;
Whereas, citizens need to know the answers to how additional traffic will be handled before zoning approvals are made;
Whereas, citizens must know the specifics and cost for how stormwater will be managed to prevent downstream flooding and ensure maximum infiltration for water quality;
Whereas, the public wants to know that Code standards will set measurable goals to ensure a vital, green and lively urban space;
Whereas, the Council needs a cost benefit analysis that demonstrates that the plan will yield net positive revenue for the Town;
And Whereas, over 1000 residences will require additional school capacity, affecting all tax payers in the school district, therefore be it resolved:
We petition the Town Council to ensure these 8 steps be taken before rezoning properties in the Ephesus-Fordham District:
(1) Include public review in the new zoning regulations;
(2) Ensure that the zoning changes include measures to protect existing small businesses in the E-F district from being forced out;
(3) Develop a plan for mitigating flooding and protecting water quality, along with estimated costs;
(4) Prioritize transportation projects and tell the public the costs including thet actul construction bids;
(5) Share the cost- benefit analysis with the public to demonstrate that the plan will yield a net positive revenue for the Town after all Town services, ongoing infrastructure maintenance costs and school costs are included;
(6) Require that sufficient incentives are provide to ensure energy efficient buildings, as well as community green space equivalent to a minimum of 15% of the land area adjacent to retail and residences;
(7) Ensures that the Town Manager certifies that 300 affordable housing units are met; and
(8) The form-based code design standards are improved to ensure an attractive, vibrant public realm consistent with Chapel Hill's history, character, and values.
The Require These Steps Before Rezoning to Form-Based Code petition to The Chapel Hill Town Council and Town Manager was written by Anonymous and is in the category Government at GoPetition.