The McFarland Apartments - Request for Resolution of Support from City Council
- Kathy Turner
- Closed on
- Various Non-Profits, Weatherford residents & business owners and affordable housing applicants
- United States of America
We thank you for your support in requesting the Weatherford City Council to provide us with a Resolution of Support for us to include in our application to TDHCA 9%HTC program. Unfortunately, despite a crowded chamber full of supporters, numerous speakers and our submitted petition, the Council chose not to support workforce housing for the community. While we are disappointed with their position, we will continue to work towards providing quality housing to residents of Weatherford who are on fixed incomes. We urge you to follow up with City Council with any comment you may have on their decision.
• The City has not supported an affordable family development in more than 15 years.
• All three affordable housing developments are 100% full with waiting lists.
• Demand is for local ‘income challenged’ Weatherford residents.
• Recent approval by the city of up to 916 new market rate units does not affect demand for affordable housing.
• According to information obtained from American Community Survey ( ACS) 40.5% of the renters in Weatherford and 24.8% of the owner households pay more than 30% of their monthly income on housing, which is the definition of being housing burdened.
• There are 1,448 rental households that would be income qualified to live at the McFarland. There is a total of 372 affordable housing units in the City of Weatherford. The existing affordable housing properties only serve 25.6% of those households.
• The McFarland’s 100 units will help with the demand for quality affordable workforce housing for the Citizens of Weatherford.
We respectfully request that you add an action item on the February 27th agenda for consideration of a Resolution of Support for The McFarland development.
We the undersigned, join with Saigebrook Development, LLC in urging City Council to pass a Resolution of Support for the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs 9%HTC Application #18309, The Mc Farland Apartments, a 100 unit workforce housing development to be located on the S. side of College Park Dr., E. of South Main during the next City Council Meeting on February 27, 2018.
The The McFarland Apartments - Request for Resolution of Support from City Council petition to Various Non-Profits, Weatherford residents & business owners and affordable housing applicants was written by Kathy Turner and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.