- Calgary Airport Authority, City of Calgary, Alberta Ministry of Infrastructure, Federal Minister of
WHY THIS PETITION? WHY NOW? It’s Canada’s 150th birthday! What a great way to celebrate!
In late 2015, the Calgary Herald carried articles and an editorial about renaming the Calgary International Airport. Two Airdrie, AB residents suggested it be named for Ken Taylor, “… a true hero in international circles [...] born in Calgary”. Canada does not celebrate enough its true heroes. What Ken and his wife Pat did was brave –few could disagree with the risks the Taylors faced in Iran when in 1979 and 1980 when Ken and Pat, with Canadian embassy staff, helped extract six Americans who’d made their way to the embassy for help (the "Canadian Caper").
Ken’s belief in diplomacy to achieve global progress is more important today than ever. The basis of successful diplomacy includes Prairie kindness and generosity, and what many like to think of as defining Canadian traits: modesty and a willingness to help in any emergency. Ken continued – and his scientist wife Pat continues – to demonstrate these and other qualities.
Pat’s name should be linked with Ken’s in the airport’s name to recognize her role, her bravery and her distinct contributions. A respected scientist and talented musician and dancer, Dr. Taylor not only joined her husband in his Foreign Service postings, staying with him in Tehran, she also worked at scientific or research institutions in each of his postings and continued to advance science throughout her life.
WHO ARE WE? Three passionate Albertans plus one.
David Cormican, President and shareholder of Don Carmody Television (DCTV)
Dawn Davies, retired
Richard Korble, securities industry professional
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE? Write, call, sign/forward this petition. To whom? From research, we’ve learned naming airports is both a science and an art. The science part is understanding the parties involved – the Calgary Airport Authority is:
• Incorporated under Province of Alberta legislation within the mandate of the Alberta Ministry of Transportation
• Operated under a long-term lease from the federal government’s Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau
• Led by a Board of Directors appointed by the City of Calgary, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, and others.
The art part of airport-naming is in the choice of a name. In renaming a landmark, Calgarians would want to ensure any person honoured is well-respected and inspirational for today’s stakeholders and for generations to come, and a source of Southern Albertan and Calgary civic pride. As recently as July 1, 2014, Ken Taylor was named one of Calgary’s Top 10 contributions to making Canada a better place. He returned to his Calgary alma mater to rave reviews less than six months before his death. His career was covered with fondness in the Calgary Herald. Sorrow at his loss was expressed by people of every political stripe in Canada and from many corners of the world.
CALL TO ACTION: Please:
• Sign this petition
• Distribute it to as many friends, family members, work colleagues and others as possible, by email and all your social media – LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
• Also share your support directly with the parties who will be involved in decision-making (see below) and any media contacts you have:
• Calgary Airport Authority: firstname.lastname@example.org; https://www.yyc.com/en-us/contactus/suggestioncomments.aspx (Bob Sartor, Mel F. Belich) email@example.com
• Municipal: Media.Relations@Calgary.ca; firstname.lastname@example.org (Mayor Nenshi; Chima Nkemdirim); email@example.com
• Provincial: firstname.lastname@example.org; Aileen.Machell@gov.ab.ca
• Federal: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
We, the undersigned, ask the Calgary Airport Authority and all three levels of government to work together as a Canada 150 project to rename the Calgary Airport, the “Calgary Ken & Pat Taylor International Airport” to serve as a lasting reminder of what made them and what makes Canada great: that is, outward-looking, future-focused, able to compete fairly and ethically with the best, helpful and gracious, welcoming to people from around the world, business-oriented, fun-loving, smart, at home in dealings with both east and west – truly best-in-class. These are terms that also describe Calgary, Calgarians and the airport’s unique White Hat Volunteers, who are “... a true testament to Calgary's warm western hospitality”.
The Rename Calgary Airport “Calgary Ken & Pat Taylor International Airport” petition to Calgary Airport Authority, City of Calgary, Alberta Ministry of Infrastructure, Federal Minister of was written by Barb Amsden and is in the category Miscellaneous at GoPetition.