Reform Bermuda's Printed Media
- Printed Media
Professional Journalists believe that public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues.
Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist’s credibility. They share a dedication to ethical behavior and adopt a code to declare the their principles and standards of practice.
We the undersigned recognizing the fundamental right to freedom of the press and the significant role that the Mid–Ocean News, the Bermuda Sun and the Royal Gazette plays in our society.
We ask the printed media to respect the population of this country and be more responsible with its news reporting to the public. We now state, that we do not wish or appreciate the indifferent or ill-natured relations between us (the public) that stems from the affects that misinformation and misleading reports breed. This mentioned disservice has lasted for too long and needs to be addressed.
We are petitioning the Management and Directors of the Royal Gazette, Bermuda Press (Holdings) Ltd, Mid-Ocean News and the Bermuda Sun to make the following improvements to their journalistic product:
1. Commit to signing a publicly available code of journalistic ethics
2. Commit to open and honest journalistic coverage with an increased emphasis on factual journalism, balance and fairness
3. Commit to eliminate the practice of reporting unsubstantiated and unattributed allegations and personal attacks as fact
4. Commit to eliminate all political bias displayed against any political Party and their Leaders, Representatives and Members or Independents
5. Commit to working to create a Press Council, designed to protect members of the public from malicious, unethical and irresponsible journalism
6. Commit to expand the journalistic coverage of positive individuals, community events and accomplishments
These are areas we the undersigned feel are invaluable guidelines that will ensure a more harmonious atmosphere in our community of Bermuda. It will also show that Bermuda printed media is of high standards.
The Reform Bermuda's Printed Media petition to Printed Media was written by Khomeini Taalib-Din and is in the category Media Issues at GoPetition.